Sunday, March 28, 2010

One potato, two potato

I’m not sure I did the right thing by taking out the weed barrier and loosening up the volcanic rock underneath. I suppose time will tell.












The fence is finally up around the root garden and the potatoes are in. This year I planted four varieties, French Fingerlings, Chieftain, Baker, and Red. I’m trying the “straw” method where you basically throw the potatoes onto the ground and cover them. I’m excited to see what our yield will be.

 Speaking of the chicken proof fence…turns out, it’s not so chicken proof after all, so we had to put a piece of wood between the 2 inch gap at the back. Who knew chickens were like cats that way?


So, planting season is finally underway. I feel like all I have been eating for the past four months are carrots, potatoes and chard.

No comments:

Post a Comment